Sunday, March 25, 2012

Chest of Drawers Makeover - Before and After

We bought this 4 Drawer Chest when our first child was first born. It was unfinished and as I remember cost about $30.00. I saved a little every week for about 2 months to be able to buy it. Originally, it had 4 legs about 8" high. When our son and his little brother were a little older, we were finally to buy them nicer furniture. We relegated the chest to a utility room and later to my husband's workshop. In the 1970's, I covered it with the tackiest of Contact  paper........ seemed very stylish to me, at that time. This is what it looked like for the past 35 years. Tacky might be the understatement.

We needed a "new" piece of furniture for the side of the bed in the guest room. First of all, we stripped all of the contact paper off. My husband cut the bottom drawer off and added short legs. He also added molding to each drawer. Then I painted it a dark rust and distressed it. Finally, we added the little knobs from Hobby Lobby. This is how it turned out.................pretty cool, I think.



The lamp was repainted in Silver...........Lampshade was recovered in Burlap. The clock was a Thrift Store Find............. I just love how this turned out.

No comments: